Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The return of a legend

Nomar (Ramon backwards) Garciaparra returned to Fenway last night for the first time in five years. Naturally, he was given a prolonged standing ovation that all ex-Red Sox players receive. Well, except the ones that go to the Yankees. I think people forget just how good of a player Nomar was. In 8+ seasons with the Red Sox, he was an All Star 5 times, came in 2nd in the 1998 MVP race, and was Rookie of the Year in 1997. But not only that, he was beloved by the Boston fans as a staple of hard work and determination. Parents had to treat Nomar's departure like a death in the family when they told their kids. I remember being hammered at a wedding reception when I found out. I don't remember whether I was happy or sad, probably because I WAS HAMMERED.

Everyone else has already blogged about the fact that he didn't quit on the team and that he got hosed by ownership, which is true, but his trade did bring back the pieces that eventually led to us winning the World Series in 2004. So am I happy that we have 2 titles in the last 5 years? Absolutely. But would it have been better with Nomar on the team? Of course.

I think that's why we've had so many problems finding a suitable replacement for Nomar since he was traded. No Red Sox shortstop since Nomar has been able to provide the same offensive firepower that Nomar brought to the table. The only guy that could've was traded away (Hanley Ramirez), which led to our second championship. I'm seeing a trend here. Two shortstops traded away, two championships come back as a result.

Maybe we should trade Julio Lugo for another title! Oh wait, what? Julio Lugo sucks? But I thought we were paying him $9+ million per year? We are? Shit! According to my calculations, the Red Sox are 10-16 when Lugo starts so that makes them 39-17 when someone else plays shortstop (Sox overall record is 49-33). And that "someone else" is Nick Green. Look at his initials: N.G.

Who else has those same initials? NOMAR GARCIAPARRA. It's a sign from the baseball Gods. I don't know where I'm going with this post, but the stars are aligned this year and we're going to win the World Series. You heard it here first.

1 comment:

Julio "E6" Lugo said...

You have better range than me son! Maybe AC should be at shortstop!